Homeschooling in Florida with HLA

HomeLife Academy is a state recognized "600" school, providing complete legal covering for homeschoolers homeschooling in Florida. Families in Florida may join and benefit from Homelife Academy's record keeping, transcript, diploma, and counseling services.

We are happy to serve you and your family

  • Testing/Evaluations Optional
  • Florida Virtual School Courses Accepted
  • Bright Futures Scholarships Granted
  • Dual Enrollment Available
  • Help with College Placement


homeschooling in florida HLA falls under HSLDA's Option 2. "More than one home school can operate as a private school. A child who “attends” a private, parochial, religious, or denominational school is exempt from compulsory attendance. Fla. Stat. Ann. § 1002.01(2). Florida’s intermediate appellate court ruled in State v. Buckner, 472 So. 2d 1228 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1985) that one home school does not qualify as a private school by itself. However, groups of home schools file as private schools under Fla. Stat. Ann. Ch. 623."


Does being a member of a HomeLife Academy take the place of Florida's record keeping and testing requirements for homeschoolers?

YES. It is not necessary for you to register with the Local education agency if you meet the requirements to be an HLA teacher.

Will my student be required to take standardized tests?
Once you withdraw from the state of FL home education program (see below) and are accepted by HomeLife Academy you will be exempt from state requirements for testing. Standardized tests are "Only required for parents complying with the homeschool law in Option one."

In order to earn a diploma from HLA, are Florida students required to take/pass the FCAT?
No. Since HLA is strictly a private school, or "600" school, listed with FL in Orange county, our students earn diplomas by completing our credit requirements.

What does the term "600 school" mean?
Many private schools serving homeschoolers call themselves "600" or "umbrella" schools. The fact is that they are non-public schools just the same as every other non-public school in Florida. The "600" refers to the statute numbers that some school choose to incorporate under. Incorporatation is not required to to be a non-public school.

If I am registered with FL how do I withdraw and register only with HLA?

When you enroll with HLA, you do NOT need to register with the Home Education program though your county. (Registering with the county as a home education student AND registering with a private school is not statutory. If your county requests it, please follow up with them concerning the law.)

However, if you are currently registered with the state home education program (via your local school board), you must send them a notice of termination. NOTE: This is required of any child registered with the state home education program regardless if you choose to enroll the child in a public school, a private school, or transfer your home education program to another county. Therefore, this is the same process of transferring from the state home education program to any private school.

When you send your letter of withdraw, the only thing required by law is the child's name, address and the parents signature on the letter stating you are "ending your state home education program". You can tell them where you plan to enroll, or if you are moving out of state, but it is not required by law.


Ana Quesada

Homeschooling has been quite a ride of spiritual growth for the whole family.  In our tenth year of homeschooling, we have come to understand a few things.  Among them, are these highlights: Read More...



Florida Parent Educators Association
Home Education Foundation
LIFE of Florida